UPDATE: welcome to book club
Hello all.

The format of official Book Club posts is going to be updated starting with The Picture of Dorian Gray. Thanks to Mark's suggestion, I am going to be writing several posts per book, each about only certain sections (eg several chapters). My aim will be to write about 3-4 posts per book, and they will all be linked to in the sidebar under their respective book titles. This is all an attempt to make this seem more like a real book club in which you can follow along with what I'm reading (or have read) as it happens.

Let me know your feelings...

3.23.2008

zombie jesus

[2001 Dr. Dre]

I know this album is so 1990s (see why that's funny? I'll give you a second to think about it...) but it's still pretty damn good. As far as gangsta rap goes, nobody does it better than D.R.E.

Today at work, someone (David) brought up the oddities of Easter and what it's celebrating. He was joking around about how today marks the day that Jesus rose from the grave Thriller style and went about doing his zombie things for the subsequent 40 days. Though he was joking, it actually got me thinking about how bizarre this story really is. Being non-religious myself, I don't really know much about Jesus' resurrection, so my understanding may be completely off base. Nonetheless, I bet that if he had actually lived in Massachusetts during the 17th century (which I suppose would then be re-assigned as the century preceding the 1st century, right?), he would have been hung for witchcraft. These days, if some motherfucker just popped up out of his tomb after being dead for 3 days, even the most devout church-goers would be thinking "run, bitch!" (btw, I think all that cussing can be attributed to Dr. Dre).

[Frances The Mute Mars Volta]

There's another guy that I work with that's a real pervert. He hits on all the girls there that are all 30 years younger than himself. I'm seriously afraid that he's capable of doing some pretty bad things, like I think he doesn't have enough of a conscience or self control to NOT worry me. Fuck that guy, he frequently ruins my day.

Time for him to get fired/die of a heart attack.

Also time for me to get the hell out of there. I've been at Boulder Café for ~2.58 years, and I'm ready to get a real job. The money is so good and regular and IN CASH that I'm afraid that leaving is going to be kind of hard. I'm honestly anticipating making less money in a career-oriented job. That's nones-the-cool. But it has to be done. I'm not the most articulate person in the world (this post has already taken me that better half of an hour to write, edit, and re-write), so interviews scare me. My "interview" at the Café was a manager (who quit one week after hiring me...I was his last hire ever) telling me that the uniform is black and khaki, and asking me when I could start. Not really the best preparation for future interviews.

I've got a possible real-life job in the works, but I think that I'll keep it under wraps (on the DL, if you will) until it develops a little further. Profuse amount of luck (or prayers...although I have a feeling I lost all of my religious readers at the beginning of this post) sent my way might be appropriate at this time.

On a positive note, Lindsey from Wine Club just started working at the Café. She should really write about it on her haiku blog, but unfortunately she rarely updates it.

Regardless, that's a great idea for a blog, and it's a great blog.

No comments: