UPDATE: welcome to book club
Hello all.

The format of official Book Club posts is going to be updated starting with The Picture of Dorian Gray. Thanks to Mark's suggestion, I am going to be writing several posts per book, each about only certain sections (eg several chapters). My aim will be to write about 3-4 posts per book, and they will all be linked to in the sidebar under their respective book titles. This is all an attempt to make this seem more like a real book club in which you can follow along with what I'm reading (or have read) as it happens.

Let me know your feelings...

3.10.2008

boots

[Pisces Iscariot Smashing Pumpkins]

I sometimes spend an hour or more online after having seen a movie just reading about it, trying to learn as much as I can. When I finish books, I'm even more obsessed. I always wait to look the book up and read about it until after I've finished. I even (try) to refrain from reading the cover because they always like to give the exciting things away to get people to buy the book. I'd much rather read about those exciting things in the context of the story. It's really bizarre how strict I am about that, yet I'm a big fan of LOST spoilers. Weird.

Anyway, after finishing Calamity Physics, I was reading things about it, and came across an article talking about the use of young, attractive authors' (such as Marisha Pessl) good looks as a marketing tool. The article described a picture of Pessl in which she's wearing "a pair of buttery leather high heals" that were later referred to as "fuck-me boots". This, surprisingly, was done while still being able to maintain the article's journalistic integrity.


Ever since I read that article, I can't see a pair of similar boots without calling them fuck-me boots. Every time, without fail.

No comments: