UPDATE: welcome to book club
Hello all.

The format of official Book Club posts is going to be updated starting with The Picture of Dorian Gray. Thanks to Mark's suggestion, I am going to be writing several posts per book, each about only certain sections (eg several chapters). My aim will be to write about 3-4 posts per book, and they will all be linked to in the sidebar under their respective book titles. This is all an attempt to make this seem more like a real book club in which you can follow along with what I'm reading (or have read) as it happens.

Let me know your feelings...

3.27.2008

html, xml, what the hell?

Alright, for those of you that seem to be having trouble with pictures loading on this page, please leave a comment at the end of this post. For some reason they only like to show up in my browser after a few refreshes.

Also, I'm hopefully going to upgrade this blog in the next few weeks. I created this domain so long ago that I'm still working off of one of blogger's old template designs, and I'd like to upgrade to the new layout version. Pretty much the only advantage to doing this is because it makes the archives much more informative and navigable. Unfortunately, blogger uses a really confusing XHTML language to format the whole layout thing, and that's not something I'm too familiar with. Though they give the casual user many more options as far as what goes in the sidebar and such, it really restricts those of us that are trying to customize the page (I know that it doesn't look like I've done much to mine, but I promise you that I have. Notice the blue inner-border around my title [that takes changing several parameters to accomplish], the wide title spacing, the wider post and sidebar divs, the fact that viewed links don't change color, the perma-post at the top of my page [which had to be coded in, I couldn't just create a text box like you can in the new layout templates], etc). You can edit the HTML in the text box layout things, but they're really not that compatible with the language. I think that blogger assumes that you're going to do really basic things like make text bold or red. Ooo, so fancy.

So since they're giving me such hell, it's taking much longer than I expected. I've said it before and I'll say it again: are you happy now, blogger? You've got me pulling out my hair. Bravo.

If you'd like to keep up with my progress (I mean who wouldn't?!?), go over to my Gorilla Man blog. What's on there so far has taken me ~3 hours to do.

No comments: