UPDATE: welcome to book club
Hello all.

The format of official Book Club posts is going to be updated starting with The Picture of Dorian Gray. Thanks to Mark's suggestion, I am going to be writing several posts per book, each about only certain sections (eg several chapters). My aim will be to write about 3-4 posts per book, and they will all be linked to in the sidebar under their respective book titles. This is all an attempt to make this seem more like a real book club in which you can follow along with what I'm reading (or have read) as it happens.

Let me know your feelings...

4.09.2008

the length of everything

[Abbey Road The Beatles]

I just deposited a lot of ca$h-money ("this is your show...Yo Momma!") into an IRA today. I now have a retirement fund but nothing to retire from. Fuck a duck.

I've decided that I eventually need to read some non-fiction for Book Club. Last week in my Primate Behavior class we had a lecture about homosexuality in human and nonhuman primates. Our teacher started talking about a book called Biological Exuberance by Bruce Bagemihl who did a study that showed that homosexuality is found pretty universally across the animal kingdom. The lecture was probably the most interesting one we've had all semester, so I decided to look into getting the book.

It's 768 pages long.

I'm not typically opposed to long books. In fact, I usually embrace them because it feels so good when you finish one. But I figure that for my first foray into non-fiction, I should maybe take it a little easy. I'm guessing that the only way a science book on a fairly narrow subject could be that long is if it goes into a lot of depth about various theories and other specifics. I'll read it someday, but not yet.

Ally's father got me Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything for my birthday (thanks Brian). Even though that's a pretty formidable 478 pages, it covers, well, nearly everything. I guess that means that "a lot of depth" isn't quite implied; in fact, the exact opposite is.

By the way, I'm thinking about somehow doing a "Sightings" section in which I talk about places in real life that I've seen or heard references to the books I've read for Book Club. For example, the other day in that same Primates class, we were talking about infanticide (the killing of infants), and someone brought up The Giver. I thought it was such a great reference that I really wanted to write about it, but didn't have a good place to do so. I guess I could just make a new post for each or one giant post that I keep updating with every sighting, but it'd also be fun if you all could also write about any sightings you've had. I don't know. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

scott lawan said...

oooh... a sightings section would be sweet. like a nice long piss at the trough, except girls are peeing alongside the dudes...