UPDATE: welcome to book club
Hello all.

The format of official Book Club posts is going to be updated starting with The Picture of Dorian Gray. Thanks to Mark's suggestion, I am going to be writing several posts per book, each about only certain sections (eg several chapters). My aim will be to write about 3-4 posts per book, and they will all be linked to in the sidebar under their respective book titles. This is all an attempt to make this seem more like a real book club in which you can follow along with what I'm reading (or have read) as it happens.

Let me know your feelings...

4.11.2008

eight nine ten things i know, have learned, or observed

My thoughts from tonight's Beer Club while I'm still mildly (ever so mildly) intoxicated:
  • I love Ally. Sometime I hear stories from my friends about scandalous, fun, short-term flings they have, and wonder if I'm missing out. Sometimes I think that a lifestyle like that is very appealing. But then I realize that those flings frequently last for no more than a week, and people get pretty depressed in between. I'm happy all the time. Ally and I both grind our teeth at night, and that's something other people envy (I know that sounds weird, but go with it). Why would I ever want to give something like that up?
  • I don' know the people I hang out with outside of the action space that I know them in. I've never seen some of the people at Weer Club outside of that setting, and I feel like that's really limiting how well I can possibly know them. What kind of people does Annabelle hang out with? Who (besides her cousin) is her best friend? What kind of art does she do? Mark talked about one of her recent pieces and how dark it is. This got me to thinking that maybe she has some sort of dark side to her beneath the little I-want-to-pinch-your-cheeks facade she has at Wine Club meetings. Between the unassumingly large amount of piercings and the tattoos, she's not exactly giving me much reason to think that I really know all there is to know about her...That goes for the rest of the Wine Club members. I think that it's time that I make friends with them in the real world, not just within the rigidly structured mass-social confines of the club.
  • I'm usually #6 in the raffle. Tonight I was #13. #6 (Gordon) won. Fuck that.
  • Mark suggested a possible solution to my "Sightings" section. I think that in the near future I'm going to start a blog where any of you can join as an author and post your Sightings. Comments will be open, authoring will be open, and the books you "sight" don't even need to be previous Book Club books. In fact, if you'd like, it can digress into another whole book community type thing where we all discuss any book we'd like to, recommend new books, etc. This might just be a pipe dream of someone that thinks that he has more readers willing to contribute than he really has, but so what? I'm content with talking to myself, so if I'm the only one that writes anything, my feelings won't be hurt. Assholes.
  • I'm uncomfortable with weird unsolicited public awkward touching, and I'm not even the one being touched.
  • I want to be a rock god like Mark.
  • Apparently being an artists means that you can easily coax girls into getting naked, crawling into your bed, and posing for pictures without them thinking that you're a creeper.
  • I like tobacco in certain social situations. If I'm very comfortable with the people around me and we're all chillaxing with beer-in-hand, then I really want to break out the pipe. Tobacco Club very well may be a real possibility in the near future.
  • I have an oral fixation and an addictive personality. Thank god (if he actually existed, which he doesn't) for Tea Tree Chewing Sticks. Unfortunately I'm stuck with some bullshit alternate brand for the time being.
  • The world is small. Stacey or Stephanie or fucking Stedman (whatever her name is) is in my Primate Behavior class. I've had classes with Gordon, Mark, and Sondra before. Lindsey just got a job where I work (and I had no previous knowledge of her applying beforehand).

4 comments:

Photomoto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Photomoto said...

my story about Heather/my blazer/Linguistics/recitation

...was quite depressing (at the time that this whole thing happened).

...

I am far from a rock god....I have never once needed to dodge flying panties...

...

for some reason your post was really depressing to me.

but thats okay.

good post

...

Michael said...

I just re-read the post, and you're right. I have to throw something into every bullet point to make it sound angry or depressing. Maybe that's just my four-in-the-morning, I'm-sleepy-as-fuck personality.

Oh, and you should try playing your guitar in public. We'll see whether the panty throwing status changes...

scott lawan said...

...my four in the morning posts are pretty "moody" too. which is really the majority of my posts. hahaha. sweet. let's go fly a kite, but i don't have one. we'll pitch on a cheapo...unless you have one.